This is a detailed list of updates and changes in individual Simple DNS Plus v. 5.2 build.
For an overview of the major new features in v. 5.2 see KB1265.
See also release notes for:
version 5.0 and
Version 5.2 builds
Build 122 - May 14th 2013
- Update: New option to input TXT-record data as either "One continous string" or "Individual strings". This makes it easier to enter long (+255 characters) strings - for example for DomainKeys.
- Update: DHCP server plug-in - Reservations list - added "Options" and "Supply host name" columns, made columns sortable (click header), and made window resizable.
- Update: Options dialog / General section: changed text "Domain name of this DNS server" to "Host name of this DNS server (FQDN)"
- Fixed: When serving records from a local DNSSEC signed zone where the answer begins with a CNAME-record, signature records (RRSIG) were not included for all but the initial CNAME-record.
- Fixed: DNS Records window - Reverse zone - "Edit IP-to-Name Mappings" button also shown with IPv6 reverse zones. The button was not working and was not supposed to be there in this version. Button removed for now. May add this function for IPv6 in future version.
Build 121 - July 21st 2012
- Fixed: Specifically malformed DNS requests might crash Simple DNS Plus when using certain non-default settings.
Build 120 - October 17th 2011
- Fixed: Zone's DNSSEC signatures not re-loaded after some types of API updates / on secondary servers after receiving zone transfer.
Build 119 - August 6th 2011
- Added: "Also Notify" feature. Send NOTIFY requests to IP addresses not listed in NS-records when primary zone is updated. New "Notify" tab in "Zone Properties" and "Default Zone Values" dialogs.
- Update: DHCP Server plug-in now supports "infinite" lease period.
- Update: For Shadow forwarding, you can now specify that the AA-flag in responses is either set, copied, or cleared.
Build 118 - February 18th 2011
- Update: Enhanced version of the DHCP Server plug-in included - more details.
- Fixed: Checking the "Update reverse zone" checkbox in the AAAA-record dialog did not update the corresponding IPv6 reverse zone.
Build 117 - July 9th 2010
- Update: For responses received containing a CNAME-record in the Answer section, a "NODATA" SOA-record in Authority section is now ignored,
and the CNAME alias is attempted resolved in a new outbound request - details.
- Fixed: On Windows Vista and later, the installer only added an inbound Windows Firewall rule for the current network profile(s) (domain/private/public). Now adds both inbound and outbound rules for all network profiles.
Build 116 - December 11th 2009
- Fixed: Export Wizard / Standard Boot File - wrong zone file names in exported boot file.
- Fixed: When creating new zone, the record editor prompted for IP address of missing host records and auto-created such records, even if host record belonged to already existing sub-name zone.
Build 115 - November 16th 2009
- Fixed: Tray icon not shown following Windows login (build 113 only).
- Fixed: Dynamic update request for empty (invalid) zone caused NullReference exception (crash).
Build 113 - October 31st 2009
- Fixed: On Windows Server 2008 R2, installer would attempt and fail to install .NET 3.5 SP1 if Application Server role was not enabled (in Windows features/roles).
- Fixed: When installing second instance (see KB1268), sdnsgui.exe would crash if run before starting the service.
Build 112 - October 30th 2009
- Update: Help file / Automatic SPF - added section about HELO/EHLO host name.
- Fixed: Could not import full zone list from BIND named.conf files which contain comment sequences (//, /*, #) inside string values ("...").
- Fixed: Creating zone with name like "com2.xx" crashed program.
Build 111 - August 20th 2009
- Update: Added support for new "Clone Answer" plug-in interface. See KB1289.
Build 110 - August 5th 2009
- Update: Authoritative NXDOMAIN responses no longer changed to "no data" when a plug-in handles any domain (such as the MyIP plug-in).
- Fixed: Resolver caused NullReferenceException crash in rare combination of requests/events.
- Fixed: The DynDNS Service plug-in (and possibly 3rd party plug-ins implementing ITSIGUpdateHost) caused NullReferenceException crash on some TSIG signed dynamic updates.
Build 108 - July 22nd 2009
- Added: New exception option for Non-Existing Domains feature:
"Do not redirect domain names that begin with an IPv4 address (reverse and RBL/DNSBL record names)".
In previous versions this was permanently on.
- Update: Statistical counters changed to 64 bit integers (were 32 bit) to accommodate larger values.
- Fixed: Secondary zones saved with duplicate SOA-record after full zone transfer.
This did not cause any direct problems in Simple DNS Plus (duplicate record ignored when
zone loaded), but might do so with 3rd party software.
- Fixed: Name of installer created Windows Firewall rule did not include instance ID.
This could be a problem when running multiple instances of Simple DNS Plus on the same machine.
- Fixed: Double clicking in empty plug-in components list (Options dialog) crashed the GUI module.
- Fixed: Repeated winsock error 10052 on UDP socket caused crash. Now ignored.
This error is not documented anywhere but is probably some variant of "ICMP host unreachable".
We are unable to reproduce, but user error reports suggest it is safe to ignore.
Build 106 - June 9th 2009
- Update: To help diagnose any future installer error 2869 messages, a "simpledns-installer-error-xxx.txt" file is now generated if exception is thrown during
during execution of .NET custom installer action (installation of service, event log source, performance counters, and firewall exception).
- Fixed: Installer would show error message and rollback if it encountered an error creating Windows performance counters.
This made it impossible to install on systems with corrupt registry data for performance counters (apparently a common problem).
Now it continues to install and then attempts to create counters each time program is started. Performance counters obvoiusly won't be available until this succeeds.
Build 105 - May 21st 2009
- Fixed: Updated zone transfer TSIG key secret value from Zone Properties dialog not loaded until program restart.
- Fixed: Duplicate truncated (TC) UDP responses received might cause NullReferenceException.
Build 104 - May 12th 2009
- Update: No longer sends NOTIFY request to Super Slave servers when a new primary zone is created.
This serves no purpose since zone does not exist on slave server yet, and
is redundant because slave is also notified about new zone through master zone update.
NOTIFY requests are still sent to non-Super Slave secondaries for compatibility with other DNS server brands master/slave synchronization scemes.
- Fixed: ObjectDisposedException in connection with Performance Graph View in some conditions.
- Fixed: Command line (sdnsplus.exe) error "Invalid data received when trying to connect to the service module".
- Fixed: Raw log file entries from between 23:59:59.5 and 00:00:00.0 (last half second before midnight) recorded with
timestamp 86400 seconds (= next day at 00:00:00) - now 86359 (23:59:59).
Build 103 - April 28th 2009
- Fixed: Remote Management "Incompatible Simple DNS Plus service / GUI versions" message when not.
Build 102 - April 27th 2009
- Update: Remote Management will work when service and GUI modules have different build numbers within a defined range (this build and forward only).
- Update: Remote Management error message "Incompatible server version" changed to "Incompatible Simple DNS Plus service / GUI versions (#.#.# / #.#.#)".
- Fixed: InvalidOperationException "Queue empty" when Active Log View buffering option enabled and a log entry with a lot of detail records recorded.
Build 101 - April 25th 2009
- Fixed: Plug-in domain name list rules would remove one domain name from the top of the list each time the Options dialog was updated.
- Fixed: Installer error downloading prerequisites (.NET 2.0 SP2) to default location when running installer from read-only location. Download location now defaults to %TEMP% folder.
- Fixed: Installer error 2753 on some systems. Custom actions now set to "no impersonation".
Build 100 - April 23rd 2009
- First official v. 5.2 release - for details click here.